Thursday, December 7, 2017

A Year of Mourning - The Moment Life Changes (Nov. 27, 2017)

At 7 am the phone rang. “Daddy’s gone.” Not expected, but also not fully unexpected. The kids surround me, just leaning against me making contact. 

Then...

Calls, calls, calls. Plane reservations. Laughter. Cursing. Laughter. Tears. Tears. Tears. Oh my GOD! More phone calls. Emails and Facebook. Wow Facebook. It’s both a service and an outlet, a place to express my feeings in the moment.  

The next couple of entries will share my posts. A snapshot of the path through aninut to shiva through my eyes, but lacking the responses, responses which show connections to so many people I love and who love me. 

____________________________________________________________

November 28, 2017
10:03 am
It is with great sadness that I share the news of my father's passing early this morning. Russell and I are headed to NJ. In this moment I just want to share how much I appreciate all of my friends and family, and the special people who make my life what it is. (From the airport, where Russ and I landed within 25 minutes of each other, we headed straight to the funeral home, Aunt Dawn, Uncle paul, Mom, Russell, and me. So simple for such a major even t in our lives.)
  5:51 pm 
And it’s settled. My father’s funeral service will be Thursday morning in NJ with internment at Wellwood Cemetery in Farmingdale (about 2:00pm), with the first day of shiva to follow in Merrick.
Thank you everyone who is asking. We will post more information as we know.
With love.

8:55 pm
Thank you all so much for the love, condolences, and virtual hugs. It's amazing to me how much the virtual web of support helps. Thank you also for reaching out about service and shiva times. We will update this information as we have it.
Funeral services for our father, Bruce Elkin, will be held on Thursday, 11/30, at 10:15 AM at Mount Sinai Memorial Chapels, 454 Cranbury Road at Evergreen Boulevard, East Brunswick.
Interment will follow in Wellwood Cemetery, Farmingdale, NY. For GPS use: 1228 Wellwood Avenue, West Babylon, NY 11704, at about 2:30 pm.
The first day of shiva will follow internment in Merrick, time and place TBD. Shiva from Friday morning on will be at 31 Birmingham Lane, Jamesburg, NJ, concluding the morning of Wednesday, December 6.
Afternoon/eevening services will be at 4:20 PM.
Donations in memory of Bruce Elkin may be directed to the Bruce Elkin scholarship fund at CampRamah.org

No comments:

Post a Comment