Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Catching up

 Okay, so I'm behind again in posting, and really behind in posting anything but the parshiyot.  So here's goes catching up...


  • Can you believe it the kids grew again?!  It's strange sometimes looking at my children to realize that they're not the babies they were.  I think the key moment was looking at our Little Tykes kitchen and saying, "I'm not going to get rid of the kitchen.  The kids still use it sometimes, and others do when they visit.  I'll put it downstairs.  Besides, in ten years we could be grandparents."  OH MY GOD- ten years!  it's possible.
  • Sometimes meanness masquerades as curiosity.  I spent time talking to kids about conversion, derech eretz, and Jewish identity sparked by obnoxious comments from one child to another.  Lots of interesting questions, but the kids who needed the talk- who knows if they got anything.
  • Sometimes shaarey shayna is the place to be.  The past two weeks have been go, go, go.  This makes Shabbat a very special time (although motzei Shabbat has been busy, so the effect is mitigated.)  It lets me rest, sleep, and turn off.  (BTW- Shaarey shayna means Gates of Sleep)
  • Hanukah fry-down.  Last Sunday we had a pre-Hanukah fry down.  We made lots of latkes- potato (the all-time favourite), sweet potato, parsnip, pineapple, and cheese.  All yum.  The pineapple are sweet, and would make a nice dessert sprinkled with some powdered sugar.
  • I love my job.  I spoke tonight at Beth David for MERCAZ-Canada and Canadian foundation for Masorti Judaism.  I made my notes, looked them over, and spoke for 45 minutes from the heart.  I could have gone on for another hour.  I guess I really do love my job and what we support.  New tagline- CFMJ- Supporting the Masorti/Conservative Movement in Israel- MERCAZ-Canada- Your voice in Israel.  You have more power than you think.  Best line of the night- "My diverse background make me a better, stronger person.  A diverse, pluralistic Israel WILL be a better, stronger Israel.
  • I love Pete Seeger.  He taught me I have power.  I also have lots of important things to say, even if I did live a bit of a privileged life (okay, not as privileged as some, but still pretty darn lucky).
  • I also love the person who discovered the first antibiotics and set in motion the science of antibiotics.  It's amazing what a 2 inch by 2 inch infection on the skin in the middle of your back can do to mess up your life.
  • Just bought tickets for Potted Potter, http://www.mirvish.com/shows/pottedpotter, for February with the kids.  Can't wait!
Wow, all that and it's only December 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment