Friday, November 12, 2021

Vayetze - Challot & Ladders to Heaven

I wrote a sermon this week. Not for my health. I am speaking at a local synagogue. A drash I can write quickly. Sermonizing requires research. In doing that research, I discovered the "ladder" of Jacob's dream may have been an ancient ziggurat, a stepped pyramid. These, and sacred groves, were used to have a meeting with God, maybe in one's sleep. Of course, Jacob meets God in a mundane place, for God speaks to us, not only through miracles but through the everyday. Without a mold, I doubt I could make this, but I began with a rounded version (which promptly collapsed). But fate intervened, giving me a sectioned loaf with a rounded top. Is this, perhaps, a ladder to the sky.



Then I went traditional. A modern ladder with rungs. Two artistic angels (with sesame seeds) ascending and descending. 

The final two are my regular challot. It would not be Shabbat without a cupcake challah (named by Gavi for its shape). Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment