Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sitting at Home Eating Bonbons

The joke about stay-at-home parents is that they sit at home eating bonbons in front of the television all day.  For your information, at this very moment I am sitting in front of my tv.  The "Shakespeare Retold" version of "Much Ado About Nothing" is playing on the DVD, and I have just consumed two Lindt dark chocolate bonbons.

Today is Sunday.  I cherish Sundays.  It's the only day when I get to sleep in.  Not today though.  Backup a couple of weeks ago to when the garage door wasn't working.  It's fixed, but in the process I discovered that the key to the door is gone.  Since the main garage door is the only access to the garage, should the power go out, or the new opener fail to work, we would have no garage access without a new lock.  Not a problem, but for some reason it took over two weeks to get it put in.  Finally, this morning the lock was replaced.  This morning at 9:45 AM.  Not really a problem.  While I don't love waking early on Sunday, I also don't mind getting the day started for a good reason.  Of course, this Sunday followed a week of illness, Thanksgiving, and parental visits.

The latest school sickness has made its way through our home.  How is it that kids are sick for a day or two, but I am ill for a week.

My parents arrived on Tuesday, turkey in hand.  It's always great having our parents here.  Of course there are the things that make us crazy.  This will be no news to them.  With my parents it is the clutter that somehow builds when they are here, especially in the kitchen.  Usually I keep up with it, but being sick, it somehow seems to build faster and my patience grow thinner.  I leave it until I cannot take it anymore, followed by a flurry of activity, and, due to illness, my collapsing with exhaustion and a headache.

Jesse, having been amazing since Sean left, chose this week to be a typical teenager!

So, after a week with its normal flurry of activity, four illnesses, one whiney teenager, two grandparents, Thanksgiving cooking, Shabbat, a karate grading (Congratulations Jesse), I sit here at 10:30 PM on my bed for a brief break, eating two Lindt dark chocolate bonbons and watching my telly.  I am purposely ignoring the three laundry baskets, filled with twelve loads of clean laundry ready to be sorted for a short break of sitting at home, watching the telly, and eating bonbons.

Everybody needs a little chocolate now and then!