Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Empty Nesting

Our children left for camp on Monday.  It's always interesting watching them get on and off the bus.  Their personalities really come out.

As we drove into the parking lot to meet the bus, Keren saw a friend, and yelled, "There's ..."  As soon as I parked, she was out and off with her friends, ignoring us completely until the time came to board the bus.  Then she wandered back, looking slightly distraught as she realized she didn't know where we were.  However, once she found me and got her hug, she happily hopped on the bus, completely forgetting to say goodbye to Sean.  He had to board the bus to find her.

Jesse hung around the car, sitting in the back and reading until boarding time came.  He said goodbye to Sean, then came looking for me, condescending to let me hug him.  I kissed him too, even though he said not to, and he only whined a little.

Gavriel is another story.  He hung around us, not really knowing what to do with himself.  He said to me, "Eema, you have to wait until the bus leaves.  Last year I waved and waved, but you didn't wave back."  I pointed out that the bus windows are so dark that you cannot see who's in the bus.  However, I went on the bus to see where he was sitting, and made sure I figured out which shadowy figure on the other side of the window was Gavi.  He did wave and wave, and I waved back every time.  I did have to leave before the bus.  The bus was delayed over forty minutes while waiting for a couple of missing campers, and parents, including me, had to get back to work.

It's that sweetness that I miss when they're away, the need for one more hug or kiss, even when they don't want to admit they want the kiss.  It's tucking them in at night, a final hug, an :I love you," and wishes for pleasant dreams.

I know they love camp, and Sean and I are enjoying the time alone, but I still miss my babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment