Thursday, January 12, 2012

Life Gets in the Way

So, here I am again posting multiple posts.  It's unfair really since most are drashot, and while Torah is always worthwhile, they really should be posted in a timely fashion, but sometimes life gets in the way.  Work must be done, and family is much more important than blogging and facebook (even though these are a welcome escape, brain candy if you will).

I read last week that for each week away (business or pleasure) leads to two weeks recuperation at home and work.  We were away for a week and a half.  We've been home almost the same amount of time.  I am almost caught up (the giant pile of clean laundry in my closet notwithstanding; hey, at least it's clean!).  On Tuesday I leave for Israel for work.  While thrilled to be going, and even happier because I get to spend a few days with family whom I love dearly, I also dread the time away.  How big will the laundry pile be?  Yes, it'll still be clean, but I have a feeling the entire family will be rooting through my closet because ALL their clothing will be in one giant pile.  How many emails will have piled up on my computer, and how behind will I be at work.

There are so many things to do, but life gets in the way.  Life is all the messy stuff- fighting with my teen; talking with my teen; sharing with my teen; laughing with my younger children; advising on homework; hugs and kisses; more hugs and kisses; and laughter, but also laundry, dishes, shopping (the kids never seem to stop growing), more shopping, oh my God still more shopping, cooking, sweeping, finding lost objects, fixing broken objects, sewing, painting, hammering...

I could go on and on and on.  Still, if I never write my book, never finish the Shavuot seder, and somehow never catch up on those emails, it'll all be worth it.

The minutia of life may get in the way, but in those minutia are where life is lived.  I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment