Sunday, August 26, 2012

There But By The Grace of God Go We

On Thursday Gavi and I spent a wonderful day together at the Empire State Building.  We went up to the observation deck; took lots of pictures, bought souvenirs, and ate hot pretzels.  We also spent about 40 minutes standing near the 5th Avenue entrance waiting for our ride.

On Friday, just feet from where Gavi and I had stood, police shot Jeffrey Johnson, while nine bystanders were struck by stray bullets.

Gavi and I had hitched a ride into the City with my brother, who was going to meet his architect at his apartment, currently under renovation.  Russ dropped us at 36th and 6th.  While Gavi and I walked to the Empire State Building I gave him a lesson in walking in New York.  Lessons for the day included going with the traffic flow (you keep walking in the direction you need to go as long as the lights are with you, only crossing the street if the light is in your favor, or you have reached the point when you must).  There was also the "Never pick anything up from the street in Manhattan" and "New York pretzels are best with mustard."  We had a lovely day.  It was a Gavi talking day from the moment we exited the car to the moment we got back in.  We examined the view in every direction.  Gavi found Central Park, where we'd been the day before.  I pointed out Macy's and the Met Life building, where my father worked for many years.  Gavi found the many NYC bridges and the Statue of Liberty.  He took dozens of pictures.  I spoke with a woman from the Midwest with a son approximately the same age.  She found it funny that I'd grown up in NY, spent most of my life, and had never made it to the top of the Empire State Building before.  She gave Gavi 50cents to use the binoculars.  As a tourist, she  had come wonderfully prepared.  I, a New Yorker, came with nothing.  When we'd seen enough, we headed to the gift shops (yes, shops).  We left with key chains (Gavi collects), hot pretzels (including one for Keren), and an NYPD hat.  We went outside to wait for Russell, and watch New York go by.

About sixteen hours later, Steven Ercolino was shot by Jeffrey Johnson on 33rd Street.  After killing Mr. Ercolino, Johnson turned the corner onto 5th Avenue into the sights of two NYC police officers.  Johnson opened fire.  The officers returned fire.  Nine bystanders were hit exactly where Gavi and I stood sixteen hours earlier, and where I had actually planned on being that day.  My original plan was to head back to NYC on Friday (after a day in Central Park on Tuesday).  Russell had to meet his architect, and only Gavi really wanted to see the Empire State Building, so we hitched a ride on Thursday.

There, but by the grace of God go we...

No comments:

Post a Comment