Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cynicism From an 11 Year old

A couple of days ago I saw a comic on facebook. It said, "I don't know if spending the day in your pajamas is giving up on life or living it to its fullest." I shared the comic with Sean and Keren. In answer to the question, Keren said, "Yes." It's an interesting answer. First, a multiple choice question is not a yes or no question. Second, Keren would spend any and every day in her pajamas if possible. She revels in it. This week she is having oral surgery. She will be out of school for the rest of the week. She is disappointed she will miss pajama day at school, and is thinking of going if she's not in too much pain. So how can staying in her pajamas be giving up on life?

I spent today in my pajamas. It was horribly cold out. I had a lot to do indoors. I decided there was no reason to get dressed. So here I am, almost 18 hours after I woke up, back in my room (where I spent most of the day) still in the same pajamas, still working, but not having left the house. It gives a new perspective on Keren's answer.

What did I do today? I spent the day in my pajamas. They are warm fleece. They are cute and fuzzy. Most of the day I spent in my room watching Dr. Who , while I typed up information as regional RA president and researched and wrote my weekly parasha drash. I ate fruit and little chocolate. I drank water and tea. I spent a few wonderful hours sitting with my cats in a sunbeam. They're right. It's delightful. I cooked two kinds of meatballs and brussel sprouts, and sauteed peppers, onions, and tomatoes for dinner. I prepared lunches for tomorrow. I talked with a friend. I talked with my children. I talked with my husband (and argued a bit too).

What didn't I do today? I didn't get dressed or put on make up. I didn't put on my boots, gloves, scarf, earmuffs, or coat. I didn't take the cat to the vet or do the shopping. (Thanks Sean). I didn't hack at the ice at the bottom of my driveway. I didn't clean the house. I didn't do the laundry. I didn't wash the dishes. (Thanks Sean.) I didn't run from place to place like I do most Tuesdays.

Is staying in your pajamas is giving up on life or living it to its fullest? While the answer may seem cynical, I have to agree with Keren. Yes, but it's a life worth giving up every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment