Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pete Seeger, Zichrono Livracha

Pete Seeger died today. It was my first piece of news upon arising this morning. I guess to everything a time, but I believe the world is a sadder place today for the loss of this amazing man. My reaction was "I'm so sad." Sean replied, "So is he." But I don't think so. Pete Seeger lived to be 94. He lived a life of value and action, and I believe he'd say there is time for every season under heaven. This was his time.

Pete Seeger was a role model to the world, one who could not be swayed by selfishness. He was married to the same woman, Toshi, for 70 years. According to his son, he was chopping wood just ten days ago. He was blacklisted after tangling with the US House Un-American Committee. (Ironically this was an offensive period in the US that was itself un-American). When pressed by the committee to reveal if he had sung for Communists, Seeger said, ""I love my country very dearly, and I greatly resent this implication that some of the places that I have sung and some of the people that I have known, and some of my opinions, whether they are religious or philosophical, or I might be a vegetarian, make me any less of an American." He went from being shunned by government to being honored at the Kennedy Center in 1994, and all of Washington sang along. That was a rule at Seeger concerts. You weren't there for entertainment; you were there to learn and to do. 

Pete Seeger was a huge influence in my life. I grew up singing his songs. We have raised our children with those same songs. My children knew to stick with the union as early as (maybe earlier) they knew the Shema. Pete Seeger embodied the lyrics of these songs. If you don't know him, you are missing a shining star in our history. On YouTube, a search of Pete Seeger gives you over 145,000 results. Check him out. There's fighting music- fighting for the rights of people everywhere. There are love songs. Sean used to play "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine" regularly. There's fun stuff. He was interested in the music of all people. He played with Leadbelly when Leadbelly was considered "uncommercial." He wasn't interested in being "commercial." He was interested in what people were singing, why they were singing, and what message it sent. He knew what was actually important in life, and he lived what he preached. 

Pete Seeger, may your memory be for a blessing.





No comments:

Post a Comment