Sunday, April 12, 2020

S'firat HaOmer Hesed Count Day 3 - A Good Cause

Today's S'firat HaOmer Hesed Challenge is tzedakah. 
There are many charities I love. How to pick just one?!
As a pre-teen, teen, and young adult I supported the North Shore Animal League, an animal rescue. Sean and I later adopted Aiko through them, and continued to support them when we lived in New York. 
USY and Ramah are very dear to me. My brother was a Ramahnik, as were my children. Sean and I spent over 20 years as Ramah staff at Ramah Canada and Ramah Poconos, and the kids are continuing the tradition. If I had to choose one Jewish experience for my children it would be Jewish summer camp. USY provides a similar experience year-round. Again, my brother and I were USYers, and my children followed. 
I appreciate and support the USO for all the support they provide to military personnel and their families. It's so much more than Bob Hope and celebrities entertaining the troops. We have benefited, and we give back regularly.
I am, of course partial to Canadian Foundation for Masorti Judaism. We work with FJMC in Canada and with Masorti in Israel to bring Jews closer to Judaism. It is something I think is vital to the continuation of Judaism in the greater community. Masorti teaches how halakhic Judaism can be about what we can do instead of stringencies on what we cannot. It brings the best of Judaism and of modernity together. I couldn't work for its growth unless I believed it in my heart. With so many Masorti rabbis in Israel at home without pay, they can use your help. Support the kehillah fund, write Covid support in the comment section. Check out www.masorti-mercaz.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment