Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Instant Connectivity- I Don't Got It

I logged onto my personal email today.  There were 93 new messages, very few junk.  One message needed an answer three days ago.  This is a problem.  No matter how many times I tell people "If you need to reach me now, please call" they don't.  Yes, I am connected.  I have multiple emails at work and at home.  I do have a cell phone.  I have a profile on Facebook, LinkedIn, and MySpace.  I have not checked MySpace in three years.  LinkedIn sends me an email if I get a message, and I try to log into Facebook two-three times a week.  I check my work email three days a week.  Those are the days I am at the office.  If I miss a day of work I miss a day of email.  I try to check my personal email on the other days.  I work a full day followed by running children here, there, and everywhere.  At night, the choices are chores & housework, spending real time with my children or husband, catching up on my tv shows, or checking email/etc. Email rarely wins. 

My cell is an old flip phone.  I like it.  It's like a Star Trek communicator.  I can't check email on it.  I especially like that.  I don't know how to check my work email from home.  I like that.  It all helps my part-time position stay part-time, and my full-time parenting stay manageable.  Yet people who have known me for years persist in sending emails that need to be answered NOW. 

My dictionary defines "now" as "at the present moment.  I guess NOW will have to be when I catch up to the world, but that certainly isn't now.

No comments:

Post a Comment