Sunday, July 29, 2012

Behar-Behukotai: Self Care in the Torah



…V’chai achikha imakh.
…And your brother shall live with you.

A man once came to Shammai and said, “Teach me the Torah while I stand on one foot, and I will convert.” Shammai chased him away. The same man then went to Hillel and said, “Teach me the Torah while I stand on one foot, and I will convert.” Hillel responded, “That which is hateful to you do not do to your neighbour.  The rest is commentary.  Now, go and learn.”
Hillel made a good point.  His “golden rule” has been adapted by religions around the world. But I would argue that this, v’chai achikha imakh, and your brother shall live with you, is a better explanation of Torah.
Beginning with lo tov heyot haAdam l’vado, it is not good for Adam to be alone, in Breishit, the Torah teaches us both to live in community and how we should do that.
Chai achikha imakh, your brother shall live with you. This idea goes beyond humanity.  Even the earth is wrapped up within it.  From the shmittah year’s release of slaves and loans to homes and land, everything we do, everything we are gets its meaning from this phrase, from how we live with others.
This is not just a statement about community.  It is a statement about each of us. Chai achikha imakh. Imakh, with you, it is not only our place to care for others, but for ourselves.  If we do not first do this, we will be unable to care for others and unable to care for the community and the world. 
Hillel summed this up in another of his famous statements. Im ain ani li mi li? If I am not for myself who will be for me? Ukhshe’ani l’atzmi mah ani? When I am only for myself what am I? V’im lo akhshav eimatai? And if not now, when?  This balance is the meaning of living together with our brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment