Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Raising Children- A Work in Progress

A friend once said raising kids is like flying an airplane while trying to build it.  This is as apt a description as any I can create.  During the past month Sean was away for 3 weeks.  Before Sean left I told Jesse we needed to go through his clothes to ensure he had everything he needed for camp.
  Week #1- Jesse had exams- Of course this meant he had no time to go through his clothes, or listen, or not be obnoxious, etc.
   Week #2- Last 2 exams, now of course he needs time to recuperate.
   Week #3- Trying to make up to his mom- he's actually helpful, but I suspect it's because he doesn't want to take the bus.  "Maybe if I'm good to the chauffeur (read Mom), she'll drive me."  He still hasn't cleaned his room or started packing for camp.

Fast forward- The day before Jesse's luggage was set to leave for camp, he finally realizes he doesn't have enough underwear or swim shirts.  Underwear was easy, swim shirts not so much.  A lesson is relearned- "Failure to plan on your pert does not constitute an emergency on mine."

Two weeks of camp have passed.  A letter has finally arrived.  He's having a great summer.  I didn't doubt it.  If things were lousy, he would have written.  He needs a care package: nail clippers, a puzzle book, the swim shirts I didn't have time to buy, and a book that's heavier than his duffel bag.  I see if I can find the swim shirts.  The book he ain't getting, and the other things... well, good things come to those who wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment