Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Man Cave

There is a thing called a man cave.  It is a room with all the accoutrements a man would love.  I can only assume it's purpose is to escape from the world of women and children.

There is a problem.  I want one.  Can it truly be called a man cave if I want one?  It would have a pool table and a beer fridge.  It would have a home theater, lots of books and movies, and comfy recliners.

I have begun to plan my man cave.  It'll be our basement after the children move out.  I realize that's still a ways off, but it's on the horizon in parent years.  Sean has always wanted a pool table, so that's a big part.  This means the den needs to become a library to take on the displaced bookcases.  I have old books with which to paper the walls for the den.  They moved from New York with us.  With the pool table will be an entertainment center.  Add some great comfy chairs to watch the game, wonderful art, and we're set.

The next best thing to my man cave would be an outdoor kitchen.  Full-on Weber BBQ, fridge, sink, I want it all.  Years ago Sean was out with one of his submarines.  In the wardroom one night the men were discussing barbecues and their wives.  It seems none of the wives truly understood the lure of the the giant barbecue.  The captain turned to Sean, sitting quietly, and asked, "That ever happen to you Chaplain?"  "No sir," Sean replied, "My wife thought I should have gotten a bigger barbecue."  "You're a lucky man" was the response.

An outdoor kitchen, a great man cave, and I love the chainsaw I got for my birthday a couple of years ago.  Now all I need is the time to create and use them!

No comments:

Post a Comment