Sunday, October 14, 2012

Times That Try Women's Souls (and All Thinking, Caring People)

Many (many, many) years ago I wrote in my rabbinical school application essays that I wanted to change the world.  How? By reaching out to and touching one person's heart and soul at a time.  In small ways I have been successful.  We never know the full nature of the impact we have, but we are sometimes given glimpses of it.  I believed then, and still do that we can impact the world through kindness, teaching, and understanding, and through reaching out to connect with others.  Worlds are lost or saved both by those willing to stand up and speak and by those who whisper in the ears of others

My impact, as I say, is small.  I am lucky/blessed to have been born into a country where standing up for one's rights or the rights of others was, not only allowed, but expected.  I have had the privilege of campaigning for candidates in whom I believed, protest against projects and policies I could not stomach, and candid discussion with my own elected representatives.  With all these blessings my heart currently aches for Malala Yousafzai.  If you have been living in a closet, Malala Yousafzai is a 14 year old girl in Pakistan.  Three years ago Malala's diary, written under a pen name, sharing life under the Taliban, was published through the BBC.  Since then, Malala has come to prominence, culminating in a documentary, Pakistan's first National Youth Peace Prize, and a nomination for the International Children's Peace Prize.  For me and most of the world, Malala entered our lives four days ago when she was shot in an assassination attempt by the Taliban.  

It tries the heart and the soul when so-called religious leaders are so threatened by a young girl (or by) to send a masked gunman to kill her.  My heart aches for Malala and the girls (and boys) whose names I don't know.  What of those who have understandably bowed to the fear and stay at home hidden from sight?  

I have never understood the mindset that brings people to the extremes.  Whether right or left, standing on the extremities seems to blind people to the value of those not like them.  How can any person look at another and not see the amazing worth and potential in each of us, regardless of gender, religion, or color?  I cannot understand a religion or culture or country that would shut out the creativity of half its people due to gender.  If God created so many differences in the world, why would we believe God created only one way to relate to divinity?  

Malala, you don't know me.  It is unlikely I will ever have the honor and privilege of meeting you.  But, you are in my thoughts.  Even here, where my own daughter and sons are growing up with the benefits of open education and free speech I will teach your lessons.  They will know your name.  And if the power of hope and prayer can effect healing, I add mine to those around the world.  In Jewish tradition, at a child's birth, and other significant moments we pray that parents will be able to raise their child to learning, marriage (in a relationship of equals), and ma'asim tovim, good works.  You are on the path.  I pray that you have decades of more learning and work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment