Friday, October 4, 2013

When It Rains, It Pours

It is less than one hour before Shabbat, and Sean & I are sitting on our computers.  Why?  It's been a difficult appliance week.  Yesterday the microwave died.  It's 3.5 months old, just past the labour warranty.  Of course.  Today, mid-challah the oven went poof.  Well not exactly poof.  It's still there.  It just doesn't work.  First it seemed to get way too hot, then nothing.  The challah cooked, sort of, on the residual heat.  Our 30 minute cooking time became 1.5 hours.  I'm not sure it'll be good, but it'll be interesting.  At least it didn't die during the holidays.  Sean is now trying to ascertain, with his great knowledge of ovens (not) and the internet what is actually wrong.  This should be interesting.

In the meantime, since the day school raised our tuition slightly (with no raises in our income) we've added 2 b'nei mitzvah, braces (maybe 2 sets), and now an oven.  We'll live without a microwave, but the oven is going to be tough.

For now, I'm laughing to keep from crying, eating chocolate, and watching sappy Youtube videos.  Let's hear it for the top 10 romantic movies ever!

Hoping Shabbat helps.

2 comments:

  1. A moment of perspective.... I logged onto Facebook to bitch. I saw a note from a friend who just had his 6 month post bone transplant check. So far cancer free. Thank God. My troubles are really minor. So with tears of joy for him in my eyes, I wish the world a Shabbat shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the thermostat in the oven went. It happened to ours as well. My well meaning husband (oh I love him don't get me wrong) but he knows nothing about ovens. Our went mid meat loaf. Honey I'll fix the oven he said and shortly thereafter something blew up in the oven and we needed a new one. Thankfully my father-in-law sold appliances at the time and got us one right away. You can get a microwave very cheaply these days too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete