Monday, February 14, 2011

Children and Imbeciles

There is a saying; "God watches over children and imbeciles."  Today the imbecile was me.  I wrote last night that getting used to the end of a deployment takes as long as adjusting to the beginning.  One of the things I lost during the deployment is my focus.  It hasn't come back yet.

This morning I got the kids off to school in their carpool.  I went back to the kitchen.  I took out a frying pan and two eggs.  I sprayed the pan, and turned on the burner; then, I began to empty the dishwasher.  After a minute or two, I cracked the eggs into the pan.  Something wasn't right.  The eggs didn't seem to be cooking.  I glanced up from the dishwasher, and realized I'd turned on the wrong burner.  On the hot burner was a pyrex baking pan.  I moved quickly to the stove, turned off the burner, and moved the pan.  BIG MISTAKE!  As I let go and stepped back, the pan exploded.  I had time only to yelp before I was surrounded by glass.  Amazingly, not a sliver hit me.  a starburst of shattered glass surrounded me.  I stood shock still for a moment, and then, began to hyperventilate.  Luckily, as I began to get light headed, the smart part of my brain kicked in.  I grabbed a bag from a cabinet to breathe into.  My breathing calmed.  My head cleared.  I began to take in the damage.  I was lucky twice over.  There were needle-like two inch slivers of glass on the stove, counter, and floor.  But beyond that, I realized the larger pieces had been hot enough to burn the linoleum on the floor, hot enough to melt into the mat we keep in front of the sink.  I wasn't cut.  I wasn't burned.  The largest, hottest piece of glass landed on a trivet on the counter.

Most of the glass is cleaned up.  The eggs are dumped down the sink (there was glass in the pan).  My breathing is back to normal.  I'm taking a break from life to catch up on missed tv and to edit my blog.  Eventually I have to finish cleaning the stove.  Eventually I have to shower and get moving onto my day, eventually.  For now, I'm taking a break.