Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hugs

Sometimes my 14-year-old is wonderfully insightful.  Tuesday I walked around the block with Miriam, the kids, and her mother-in-law.  It was Jesse's suggestion.  He said, "I think the chavurah should go and get the Wohl family up from shiva."He was sorry he would be in New York, and couldn't be there for his friend.

The logistics didn't work out.  I was in NY, and Sean was swamped enough that the email didn't go out to coordinate, but it worked out.  Miriam knew the thought, and appreciated it.  And I was there.

After Miriam and I hugged.

I've been hugging friends a lot lately.  A hug is a special thing.  It can convey a million emotions with a touch.  It can be light-hearted, manly, or deep and strong.  It can share need, and love, appreciation, or desire.

I've loved hugs for as long as I can remember.  My friend Mike gave the best hugs in all of METNY in the 80's.  My son, Gavi, is the cuddliest ever, often running over for a quick hug and kiss at the oddest times.

I'm looking forward to hugging without desperation.  I have the greatest friends in the world, some near, some far.  With those close by, we've been hugging at every opportunity.  I'm hugging acquaintances.  I'm hugging the cat.  I'm sending virtual hugs to the people I love around the world.  With them I hope they all can get the message of just how special they all are.