Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Parashat B'hukkotai


Parashat B’hukkotai
In the Book of Ruth, when Naomi is about to return to Israel, she entreats her daughters-in-law to return to their parents’ homes.  Ruth steadfastly remains with Naomi saying, “Where you go, I will go; where you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God, my God….”(Ruth 1:16-17)
These words echo the beginning of the third aliyah of Parashat B’hukkotai.  The third aliyah covers thirty-six verses, called tokhechah, or reproach. Traditionally the tokhechah is read quickly and in a low voice.  It lays out the dangers of, and punishments for, turning away from God and the brit, the covenant.  Immediately prior to the tokhechah, at the start of the aliyah, our parasha reiterates the terms of the brit established between God and the Israelites.  It is a reminder of the eternal connection of A-donai to B’nei Yisrael, and of B’nei Yisrael to A-donai.  “I will establish My abode in your midst….  I will be ever-present in your midst.  I will be your God, and you shall be My people….” Like Ruth’s commitment to Naomi, and to B’nei Yisrael through Naomi, our parasha establishes the basis for our covenant. 

Vayikra:
“I will establish My abode in your midst” 
“I will be ever-present in your midst” 
“I will be your God”
“And you shall be My people”

Ruth:
“Where you lodge, I will lodge”
“Where you go I will go”
“Your God will be my God”
“Your people shall be my people”

Meaning & Connection:
Together we shall dwell  
Together we will be
A-donai is our God, and we are A-donai’s people
Together we are one nation

This is a covenant for eternity that we share with God and with each other. The echo of these words in Ruth marks them as connecting to God and to each other eternally throughout our generations.  These same words leading into the tokhechah remind us that with our connections to God and to each other we can avoid the admonishment of the tokhechah.  If we remain steadfast to God and to each other, together, we can attain the blessings promised by God at the start of our parasha and throughout the Torah.