Sunday, March 13, 2016

Daylight Savings Rant

It's that time of year again. The time of year when we are forced to give up a hour of sleep to return to dark mornings to have light just a little longer at the end of the day. It is a concept I have never understood. Why, when daylight is the rule anyway, do we need to shift clocks to make the day that much longer? Isn't it enough that the sun sets at 8:0 pm?  Why do we need 9:30?

If we need daylight savings, which I fully believe we don't, why in the summer and not the winter? It would make so much more sense to have daylight savings in the winter. Winter already means waking up in the pitch black of night, so to prolong it would cause much less pain. In the winter, sunset can be as early as 4:30. Turning 4:30 into 5:30 and giving people a bit a of sunlight after work would actually make a difference.

If you see me Monday, and I don't say hello, please note I have a daylight savings hangover. It will end when the sun returns in the morning, about two weeks from now. Until then I will be nursing a terrible daylight savings headache.

See you in two weeks when my smile returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment