Monday, October 25, 2010

God Speed John Glenn

October 29, 1998

The space shuttle launch- John Glenn's return to space.

T-1 minute

I only remember watching two space shuttle launches, the first and the Challenger.

I am watching this morning while I do my morning chores. I am sitting at the dining room table chopping veggies for a chilli-cholent for tonight and Shabbat. I can't help but develop an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach as I remember the Challenger explosion. At 15 seconds I move to the couch for a closer look. Tears fill my eyes as the engines fire up. They roll down my cheeks at take off; "Barukh Hashem" leaves my lips as the countdown concludes. What a magnificent sight.

In this day when we shoot down our leaders preventing the creation of heroes, I think we have to say, "Thank you" to John Glenn and to all those who get no credit for their daily heroic acts.

God speed John Glenn.