Monday, October 25, 2010

Settling in... Kashrut continues

I had my first tour of the USS Honolulu. Standing outside a sub is a freaky experience. The sub looks so big from the dock, but the deck is deceptively narrow. I barely wanted to move, but SHOW NO FEAR! Well, down an escape hatch. I think my legs a a bit short for those ladders.

Word was sent down- "There's a woman on deck." It was a great tour. The Executive Officer (XO), Commander Weigen acted as tour guide. Sub geography is fascinating, especially the environmental controls!

[During our years at Pearl Harbour I toured many a submarine.  It's always interesting to be the "women on deck".  Sub passageways are narrow; I am amply endowed.  I was always amused to watch sailors attempt to flatten themselves against the bulkhead.  They all looked terribly frightened, as if nothing could match the shame of brushing against the chaplain's wife.  I imagine it might be as bad with the CO's wife.  Any amply endowed woman, and those who aren't, has experienced the crush of a bus, a subway, or simply a crowd.  It is a fact of life, sometimes annoyance, and, in moments like these, amusement.]

Sean's second ritual committee meeting: Unfortunately no baby-sitter, so I missed a second one. It was a knock down, drag out fight, but Sean had to lay down the law. The kitchen will be kosher. Some congregants actually turned to the kashrut side. Ed Ellenson, head of the Men's Club, actually researched the issue. He was surprised to learn that Conservative Judaism does not give you an option on kashrut. I wish we'd been able to educate others. This has been such an emotional subject that most have closed their ears and minds to the issue.