Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Holidays in Hawaii

December 1998
Holiday Party

There's a flurry of holiday parties this month. We've declined all but two: the squadron holiday party and the party given by the Commodore Dohse and his wife.

The squadron party was a lot of fun, held far away at Scofield Barracks, another night of salad for us (living my life in New York has spoiled me), but good company. We sat at the Commodore's table with Commander Kreuger, the office Chief of Staff, and the Master Chief. Sean was curious as to how he warranted such a seat, but I was happy there. I can be myself with the Dohse's and the Kreuger's, and the Master Chief was delightful.

There was Christmas music, small Christmas trees on the tables, but that's to be expected. We won our centerpiece, the living Christmas tree, which brought laughter to all. It was a lot of fun and a nice easy-going dinner.

Squadron Seven is a wonderful group- close knit. Even as the only Jews, and both of us rabbis, we, and I especially, have felt welcome, not at all out of place, which is more than I can say for being with many of the chaplains here. It's amazing how I can feel more comfortable at a Christmas party than at dinner with the chaplains.

Speaking of other chaplains, Sean and I have been getting bad vibes from a chaplain in his office. B is an interesting man. He knows how to play the political game, but doesn't care who he steps on around the board. I can't help but wonder if in his interactions there's some prejudice. He's as right wing as I am left, but more so. He has no idea what to make of us, his image of his perfectly coiffed, stay-at-home wife does not jibe with what he sees in me. Also, our religious observances are seen by him as not being flexible, which means Sean's not a team player. In B's denomination just thinking about doing something forbidden is as bad a sin as actually doing it, so his attitude is why not do it. He's willing to do forbidden things if he feels it is good for his squadron. For us, there is no sin in thinking only in the doing. We also believe that our differences and how we treat them can make us a stronger group.