Monday, November 1, 2010

Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat...

In 1985 that verse opened my college application essay for Brandeis University.  I wrote about the interconnectedness of the Jewish people.  I knew I wanted to learn more about the Jewish community. When applying to JTS I said, "I want to change the world one person at a time."  I was unsure where my rabbinate would take me, but I knew it would be to a place I could reach out to and connect with individuals to educate them about Judaism. Never in my wildest dreams could I have foreseen the path my rabbinate eventually followed.

"All who are hungry, let them come and eat.  All who are needy, let them come and share..."  This has become a theme in our lives.  "Hungry"- not just for food, although for the single sailor, marine, soldier, or airman who eats either in the mess or alone in his/her apartment, this is often the case, and we send everyone from our home having shared a good meal, or at least a nosh, with a doggie bag for at least one more home cooked meal.  But more so, it is a hunger for spirituality, companionship, and family.

I wrote these words in September 2000, but they are still true today.  Sean and I have always kept an open home.  It is a home for all who are searching, and it is the key to changing the world.  From Honolulu to Camp Lejuene, from Bellmore to Toronto our greatest success has been through our open door.  The strength of Judaism is in the bonds among Jews.  Wherever I have been, I have known there is a place for me.  Wherever I am, I try to provide that place.  I've seen the difference this connection can make.