Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thanks from a Grateful Nation

This post needs a disclaimer.  I am a crier.  I cry at movies, commercials, Hallmark cards.  Any touching moment and the tears spill out.

Today is Veteran's Day in the US and Remembrance Day here.  I like the US tradition of two days better, one for those who serve and continue to serve- Veteran's Day, and another to remember the sacrifice- Memorial Day.  In any case my day will be one filled with those tears, tears of sorrow, tears of pride, tears for respect and for love.  It's always like that for me, but made harder with Sean away.  I think of the boys and girls, men and women, and their families who paid the ultimate price, and are given only the thanks of a grateful nation.

Sean, the kids, and I have been lucky.  In sixteen years of service he has been gone for no longer than two months at a time.  Should the Navy choose to send him home, we will cheer, make signs, and be at the airport as soon as we hear.  However, service to our country, the Jewish community, and the Navy is a commitment we made, and one we seek to honor. 

I honor and thank all who serve in uniform or at home.  When the news of so many who seek to avoid service is spread, perhaps we can take today to remember those who do.