Monday, November 15, 2010

Thank you for your concern

It's interesting being in this situation.  There are only a few reactions.

1) Disbelief- the people who simply cannot fathom that Sean and I do this voluntarily, as if the US Navy has somehow done something unthinkable in sending Sean away on orders.

2) Worry for Sean-  "How is he?!" begins each conversation.  I remind the worrier that Sean is in Okinawa, a perfectly safe civilian area.  They're surprised to hear he's purchased a bike or that he ever leaves the base.

3) Concern for us- "How are the kids doing?  It must be difficult"  Yes, we all miss him.  We'd rather have him home.  But we are also members of a volunteer military, and with that comes deployment.  The kids speak to Sean most mornings.  No, it's not the same, but it's very different than the deployments my in-laws lived through.  We share daily thoughts, frustrations, and news.  Sometimes it's hard to sign off from iChat, but we're good; we're safe; and while it isn't always easy, we'll get through this.

4) Support- Thanks for checking in with us.  We have our good days and our bad days.  Mostly I'm tired.  We seem to be getting everything done, but I know you're there if I need you.  Right now all I need is more sleep.  I'll keep you posted.

I'm happy to say that most people fall into category number four, although some with a bit of category one.  The best part of Toronto has been the community here.  It's the best place to be for us now.

Thank you for your concern and your caring.