Thursday, November 4, 2010

Strange Changes May 2010

It seems Sean and I have spent the last year and a half traveling past each other, literally with USCJ and the Navy- frustrating, but doable, tiring, but doable.

Somehow the past two reserve trips were different.  I can only attribute this to the pending deployment.

It's four days, just four days, and at a chaplains' conference in Atlanta.  Still, it's different.

First the normal reaction- I don't sleep, maybe four hours a night.  The lack of sleep leads to an excess of adrenaline and a sometimes jumpy pulse.  From past experiences the sleeplessness lasts just over two weeks.  There's nothing I can do for normal reserve time, but it's a comfort to know it won't last the whole deployment.

Again, this four day trip is different.  There's a weariness that set in as Sean said goodbye on Sunday.  Usually I sort of sleep through these goodbyes.  I mumble, "I love you.  Safe trip."  It started the same way, but wakefulness arrived with Sean's squeeze of my fingers.  Those who know me know 6:20 AM is not an hour I often see, yet there I was, wide awake, waiting until I could wake the kids and run our errands.  There's a strange feeling in my heart, a worry, an emotional twinge I can't quite put my finger on.  It's just Atlanta, just a chaplains' conference.  Yet....