Sunday, September 9, 2012

Maybe I Should Have My Head Examined

On Friday I spoke with my mom.  Saturday was her (and Dad's of course) 50th wedding anniversary. Kudos to them for reaching this milestone.  However, that has nothing to do with this post.

I spoke with Mom on Friday because I wouldn't be home after Shabbat due to Slichot.  Immediately after Maariv we were having a melave malka at our shul followed by honouring our teen volunteers and new members, a memorial plaque dedication, and finally Slichot.  Sounds great, huh?  It was.  We only have 35 Slichot books, never needing more.  Turns out almost 100 people attended.

That's not why I should have my head examined.  It starts with joining the programming committee during my busiest summer ever.  Yes, really, ever.  Okay, so I joined a committee.  No problem.

Then I suggested a program for pre-Slichot.

Then I said I'd chair the program.

Then, I put together the ceremony for honouring our teens and new members, changing Torah mantles to white for the Yamim Noraim also.

Then, not liking the plaque dedication ceremony, I put together a different ceremony.

Then I put together a playlist on my ipod for the melave malka.

Then I cut and pasted (the old fashioned way, because it really was faster!).

Oh, and after I said I'd chair the program (see above), I volunteered to run a High Holiday family learning service.

And I suggested an idea for Simchat Torah, and said I'd create the certificates for our cookie decorating contest, and the timeline for the evening, and a floor plan.

And today I practiced Yonah, since I am reading for Yom Kippur afternoon, and an aliyah for Breishit, and created a sheet for the hakafot, with the Hebrew verses in Hebrew, transliteration, and English, so anyone who wants to can participate.

Oh, and I decided to put windows in my sukkah (which I did with my handy jigsaw), and so I can't hang the fabric on the walls the way we usually do to cover the pressed wood, so...

today I also painted my sukkah.

And this is why, when I called to wish my mother (and father, but he was taking a nap) a happy anniversary because I wouldn't be able to speak to them on Shabbat or after due to Slichot, my mother said to me, "I think you need to have your head examined."

Thanks Mom.  I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Rav Jen,

    Excellent blog post. Nice way of letting the congregation know your real contributions.

    With the precedents you are setting, we are able to continue with what you started in upcoming years.

    You got the ball rolling at this critical time, and provided needed Leadership at the moment when it has maximum effect.

    Thank you!!

    Warmest Regards,
    -Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. The vote of confidence is well appreciated. I do love doing what I can, but wish I had another week before the holidays, and an extra day in each week.

      See you soon.

      Delete