Monday, September 10, 2012

Rosh Hashanah Eats

Each year I sit with some of our many, many, many, many cookbooks (Did I mention we have a lot?); digging through recipes, and pouring over menus as I try to plan for the Hagim.  It gets a little crazy.  Let me tell you why.  Here are just a few of the people at our holiday meals:

Me- slightly lactose intolerant, which can be handled with pills
Sean- NO LACTOSE EVER
Three children- a teen that inhales everything, a tween who loves spicy food, and one slightly younger who is a carnivore at heart, and has decided she doesn't like fish.

Add in my in-laws who are vegetarian, with my mom-in-law a Weight Watchers devotee, and my dad-in-law who must limit rich foods.  Sometimes we also get my father, a diabetic who eats a lot of meat or chicken, takes coumadin, so must limit vegetables with vitamin K (most of them), and is allergic to almost all spices, most herbs, and vinegar, and my mother, who is best with low acid and not too spicy.

The most fun is when they all come for Passover.

But for now, Rosh Hashanah is coming, Sunday night to e exact, and we are at least a week behind in menu planning.

The guest list this year are my in-laws (my parents may come for Sukkot, but I have time to puzzle that one out).  So, with 2 lactose intolerant, 1 carnivore, 2 vegetarians, plus 2 others whose eating habits I cannot predict, if you were coming to my house for a meal, what would you like to eat?  Sean suggested I ask you, and so I am.

This is what we have so far...  There are four meals and 2 half meals (supper on day one to tide us over, and supper on day two because we need to eat something).

1- Baked fish & lasagna, sauteed brussel sprouts, green beans roasted with garlic, apples & 4-5 kinds of honey.

2- Maybe a meals of mezes (appetizers), although the details are still to be worked out, and suggestions will be appreciated.

3- Looking for any and all suggestions.

4- See meal three.

For the 2 1/2 meals we usually survive on leftovers.

And if you need a place to eat for Yom Tov, call Rabbi Sean Gorman at Pride of Israel.  He'll set you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment