Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Was That Really Necessary?

It is 7:55 AM.  Kids have just left for school.  (Thank you Lindy, who drives them every day!)  I am taking a moment trying not to fall asleep after a little over five hours of sleep while my breakfast cooks.

Why only five hours of sleep?  Thank you for asking.  Last night at 11:45 (scheduled) I had an MRI.  Is everything okay?  Yes.  It's really minor.  I have an inflamed nerve in my left foot, aka neuroma.  The nerve tissue becomes inflamed, and can become fibrous.  At it's best the toes (if it's in your foot) become numb, at worst, extremely painful.  I had the same problem in my right foot when Jesse was a year old.  I was unable to wear a shoe by the time I realized the problem.  It was treated over a few months.  It did not respond to the treatment, and so it was removed.  Not a problem since.

This time, I realized early on what was going on, and requested a referral to a podiatrist.  (Only much later did I discover that podiatry is not the same practice here as in the US.)  I saw a podiatrist, who did agree that I had the start of a neuroma.  He prescribed insoles.  They worked for a time, but a year later... OW.  Another podiatrist.  I didn't really like the bedside manner of the first.  This time custom orthotics.  These too worked for a period of time.  Then we added a toe spacer.  This was great when I was wearing shoes, but as I placed my foot on the floor most mornings the pain was growing. 

Who knew that a foot doctor was not the doctor to see for a foot problem.  My podiatrist does not do surgery.  Finally I was sent to an orthopedist.  It only took five years.  Within a minute or two of examination it was clear to him, and the resident, and an observer, that I have a neuroma.  Great.  We all agree, as do the two podiatrists.  When can we get it out?  Oh no, while we all know it's there, we must first do an MRI to confirm.  That was last night.

Sean drove me down.  I was a bit nervous and very tired.  We arrived early, and I was thankfully seen early.  The place was empty, so I don't fully understand why the 11:45 PM appointment.  We arrived about 11:30.  We were back in the car by 12:27.  The techs were professional and efficient.  They explained everything, and answered questions. 

Still, was this really necessary?  A very expensive test, very late at night, to confirm what 2 podiatrists, 2 orthopedists, an I all know.  I have a neuroma.  In the words of my uncle, a retired podiatrist who treated hundreds and hundreds of neuroma over the years.  (My first was removed in his office in NYC.)  An MRI for a neuroma.  That's stupid.

Have a great and restful day.  I'll be sleeping on my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment