Saturday, June 22, 2013

I Hate Cats

Yesterday Nora disappeared.  She's an indoor cat, so this is particularly weird.  It does happen that sometimes she goes out into the yard with us.  We have to keep an eye on her because she can jump the fence.  This means her time outside is heavily supervised and limited.  Still, every once in a while she has managed to leave the yard.  Yesterday, she did not go out.  At least we were all sure she did not go out.  But by 11:00 PM we still could not find her anywhere.  Jesse and I took a walk around the neighborhood shaking a treats bag.  That's the universal sound for come home.  Another cat answered the call, but not Nora.  Finally we gave up, and went back inside.  I assured Jesse she'd found a place to sleep, and she'd turn out today.

This morning there was still no sign of Nora.  Jesse was outside in his robe shaking the treats bag.  I decided to check the house one more time.  I checked my closets and the drawers under my bed.  No Nora.  I spoke with Gavi, who had been asleep during the previous evening's search.  He assured me Nora did not go out.  Then he said he'd heard her this morning.  She woke him up.  "Really?"  so I called her.  "Nora?"  "Meow."  "Nora?"  "Meow."  Where was she?  She kept meowing.  I stared opening Gavi's drawers.  At the fourth drawer Nora jumped out.  She'd climbed in to sleep when the drawer was open just a little, and someone (maybe even me) closed it later.  She was comfy and happy, so she didn't meow to get out.  This morning when she wanted out, she meowed and woke Gavi, but he didn't know where she was.

Hours of worry and stress, and she was safe and cozy all the time.

I hate cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment