Sunday, June 2, 2013

My New York Summer Minute

Okay, I know it's not yet officially summer, but it sure feels that way.  I spent Wednesday and Thursday in NYC.  Actually, I spent half of Wednesday at Billy Bishop Airport waiting for Newark weather to clear so we could take off.  My 12:30 lunch meeting became a 3:00.  But this entry is not about my flight or my meetings.  It's about the NY experience.

I took the bus from Newark to Grand Central Station.  The reviews for this service had been iffy, but it was fine.  The trick was appreciating the brusque manner of the driver as a bit of local flavor.  He was helpful and polite, but stereotypical NJ.  I walked from Grand Central to my meeting.  It was hot and humid, like pea soup.  The NY humidity hits you like a brick.  I've lived in NY, Massachusetts, California, Hawaii, Israel, North Carolina, and Ontario, and no where has the humidity come out and smacked me like it does in NY.  The city is worse because the asphalt holds the heat and the skyline, as wonderful and unique as it is, blocks any breeze.  (Of course in the winter those same buildings create frigid wind tunnels.)  More on heat later.

Unfortunately the kosher, Indian, fleshig restaurant was closed from 3-5, so we went to Mendy's Deli instead. I had a pastrami sandwich on rye with mustard, a kasha knish, and a sour pickle.  Oh so good!  Montreal smoked meats are wonderful, but they're their own breed of deli.  NY deli can't be beat or duplicated.  I've learned simply not to order pastrami outside the Tristate.  Mendy's pastrami was just the right lean to fat ratio, the knish flaky, and the pickle perfect.  As I took that first bite of the pickle I realized I hadn't had a really good sour pickle at least a year.  Bottled brands cannot compare.  Bob, my lunch-mate topped his off with a Dr. Brown's cream soda.  It's the perfect accompaniment, but I don't like carbonation, so water had to suffice.

After meetings, I met friends for drinks.  Adam met me back at Grand Central Station.  I was easy to find.  I was the only thing not moving in the throngs of people heading home from work.  We walked from Grand Central to 55th & 8th to meet Ally.  It's not so far, about 16 blocks.  Then after our drink (Adam & Ally were meeting Ally's Dad for dinner), I walked  to Columbus Circle for the subway.  Three trains passed packed with people before I could get on.  To 79th and Estihana Noodle House.  I got take out and headed to my hotel to peel off my clothing and relax.

Breakfast was a great NY onion bagel with a schmear of cream cheese.  I walked about 30 blocks before getting on the train.  I love walking in NY.  There is a flow to the foot traffic that is uniquely NY.  More deli for lunch.

Heading home after my meetings, I took the subway to Penn Station.  It's like going home.  I thanked the guardsmen for their service.  One replied, "Thank you for your appreciation."  They're a constant presence since 9/11.

It's amazing how easily I fall back into the flow of NYC.  It's so much faster than the life I lead, but it's comfortable and feels natural.  I don't think I ever want to live in NY again, but I'm always happy to visit!

1 comment:

  1. I was in NYC last year the week after hurricane Sandy and ate at Mendy's too. It was the best corned beef sandwich I had ever eaten. Neal and I are going back there in a few weeks and that's where I'm going to take him. I did this great bus tour of NYC and loved it so much I'm going to do it again. Neal has to see Central Park. It's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete