Sunday, June 2, 2013


Wednesday morning found me sitting at Billy Bishop airport waiting for a flight that was supposed to leave at 8:55. I started writing this at 9:45. I woke Wednesday morning feeling surprisingly well rested, a rarity in my life. I am not a morning person, the news reported that the overnight rains had caused major flooding, closing a number of routes to the downtown. Sean and I scrambled to check traffic, flights, trains. All seemed well, but Sean called the cab for an earlier pick up just in case. It was a smooth ride to the ferry, perhaps people were staying home to avoid the flooding. I arrived just before the ferry left (not that that matters, there's always another). Turns out I'd left my boarding pass on the printer. No problem. To the full check-in line. Really no problem. The flight is delayed to 9:20. Go in to the lounge. Email meeting I'll be slightly late. Porter is great.  Computers and food provided in the comfortable lounge. Grab a Tazo earl grey tea and cookies, shortbread (yum), kosher, dairy, and peanut free, some salty almonds. Breakfast- check. Settle into the lounge. It's crowed since the flooding and fog has delayed many flights. At least mine's not cancelled.

As the morning dragged on, my flight crept later and later.  From floods and fog in TO to bad weather in Newark, mother nature was clearly working against my lunch.  I kept emailing my meeting.

As I sat wondering when we'd actually take off, and if I should get up to check the board again, accordion music begins to play through the lounge. Then a soft drum.  Finally a violin.  It's a bit 
like being in a Jewish movie. The tones are slow and mournful, yet with a promise of hope. Is it a promise that someday, maybe even today my flight will take off?  For a moment loud, then quiet, the music speeds up a bit, but maintains that wonderful, folksy sound only an accordion can provide.

Our flight did finally take off.  I flew to NY with the musicians.  They were part of the Lemon Bucket Orkestra [sic], Toronto's only Balkan-klezmer-gypsy-party-punk- super band.

No comments:

Post a Comment