Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Snow Shoveling or Making a House a Home

I've shoveled the driveway about 23 times this month.  There have been a couple of days when I shoveled twice.

I like shoveling.  It is easy and satisfying.  Sean and I have different ideas about shoveling.  We have a double driveway, but only one car.  He shovels the minimum, a strip barely wider than the car.  I like to shovel the entire driveway plus the sidewalk.   I like the way it looks.  I like the exercise, and I like the feeling of accomplishment.  Like painting a room, there is an immediate satisfaction when you look at the change you have wrought.

This morning I am painting.  Actually, my parents painted a bathroom while they were here.  I just have some touch up work to do.  I hung art- two collages my mother made and a print from my parents.  I framed them with white mats in white washed wood frames.  I removed a hideously ugly light fixture (leaving a moderately ugly one).  The bathroom feels finished now.  It's ours.  It still has the pink 1960's tile and marbled pink medicine chest.  But the feel is totally different.  A new curtain hangs at the window.  With little effort (even less since my parents did most of the work), the house begins to be transformed from the house we bought to our home.

Shoveling is the same.  The snow has been mostly light and fluffy.  If shoveled shortly after falling it is easy to push; easy to lift.  The house has a wonderful, homey feeling when the walk and driveway are shoveled.  It looks loved, welcoming, open.

It looks like mine.