Thursday, February 28, 2013

More Snow & Shoveling

Yesterday the falling wet snow was rather icky to walk in.  Okay, it's still icky to walk in now that it's on the ground.  No, that's not really true.  The snow is great.  It's the so-called cleared sidewalks that are not cleared, but instead are slushy messes, that are icky.  I slipped over a dozen times walking to the bus stop.  My favourite moment was when, office in sight, a large clump of wet snow flew from atop a streetlamp, and fell, plop, right on the top of my head.  After the initial indignation it was pretty funny.  Anyway, as I was saying, wet snow may not be fun to walk in, but it clings.  This means that when I finally opened my eyes wide enough to see, and my brain woke up enough to focus, I looked out my bedroom window into a world that had been frosted.  It's a sight that makes me smile, a feat pretty damn hard in the morning. 

Of course this meant the driveway needed shoveling again.  I shoveled another 15 minutes.  Sean had shoveled so our wonderful carpool could get into the driveway after the plow went by.  For reasons I do not understand, Sean left the top of the driveway snowy.  He also cleared just enough space for Lindy's car.  This meant that I slipped carrying backpacks into the car, and we all trekked through snow.  It's not the snow that's slippery.  It's the wet slush underneath, made more slippery by Sean having melted and packed it with his feet.  I like to have our full driveway cleared.  If you don't clear the entire thing, each time it snows you push the snow to the sides, and the open space gets just a little narrower.  Then the packed and piled snow freezes, and there's nothing you can do until spring without a flamethrower.  I'd rather clear the entire space every time.  Sean has different ideas.  If he could get away with it, he'd just shovel two tracks for the car tires, and all else be damned.  Good  thing I don't mind shoveling.

Have a wonderful, frosty day.

No comments:

Post a Comment