Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mr. Rogers

Today is the tenth anniversary of the death of Mr. Fred McFeely Rogers.  Wikipedia describes him as "an American educator, Presbyterian minister, songwriter, author, and television host."  He received the Presidential Medal of Freedom.  President George Bush explained his choice stating, "Fred Rogers has proven that television can soothe the soul and nurture the spirit and teach the very young."  One of his sweaters hangs in the Smithsonian.  Most importantly he was a kind, caring, and intelligent man who sought to make the world a better place.  By the way, those famous sweaters- they were knitted by his mother.

He won four Emmys and a Lifetime Achievement Award.  When he ascended the stage to accept he simply said, "All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are. Ten seconds of silence."

Besides the beautiful snow (in which I know Mr. Rogers would have wanted me to play with my kids), today I will be remembering Fred McFeely Rogers, a great man and one of my heroes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment