Thursday, May 16, 2013

Little Pink Sock

I like comics.  A favorite comic is Mutts.  It is the life of Mooch, a cat, and Earl, a dog.  As a cat owner, Mooch often reminds me of the cats in my life.  One repeating story involves a "little pink sock."  Mooch loves his sock, often sacrificing other activities to be with his sock.

Nora has a little pink sock.  It has not always been pink.  First she had a little red mitten.  It was actually a sleeve from a wintertime Starbucks gift card.  She loved this mitten, sleeping with it, playing with it, but it was never as significant as Mooch's pink sock.  One day the mitten vanished.  We never figured out where it went.  In the absence of the little red mitten Nora began to steal socks.  Eventually I found a small sock that I was able to substitute for our actual socks.  It was baby sized, yellow with pink stripes.  I filled it with catnip.  It became Nora's life.  She carried it everywhere.  She slept with it.  She played with it.  She loved this sock.

Unfortunately, we can't find the sock.  Like the little red mitten it has vanished.  Perhaps Nora has a stash somewhere with the mitten, the sock, and all our missing single socks.  In the meantime, Nora has gone back to stealing our socks.  I find balled up socks, freshly folded from the laundry, in the hall, in the dining room, in the basement, on the steps, all over the house.  I never know where my socks will end up.

So, if you're ever in my house and you see socks in a strange place, don't blame me.  It's Nora's fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment