Thursday, November 7, 2013

"Winnie the Pooh & Horton the Elephant

There's a wall of words and quotes in the lunchroom at our children's school.  Some in Hebrew, some in English.  Some from real people, some special characters. Gavi noticed a quote that had been wrongfully attributed, "A person's a person no matter how small."  The painter/designer thought it was Winnie the Pooh.  It's actually Horton the Elephant.  We've informed the school.  I'm sure they'll correct it.

What's the problem?  I'm torn.  It's a great quote, especially for a school.  It should be correctly attributed.  Pirkei Avot teaches, "One who says something in the name of the speaker brings redemption to the world." (Chapter 6, mishnah 6) So of course I want the quote corrected.  Still it would be a shame not to have Winnie the Pooh up there.  Pooh is perhaps one of the best and most beloved characters ever, and I want to see his name on the wall.  It makes me smile.

I suggested a new quote.  Maybe they'll add it.  "Promise me you'll always remember: you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment