Thursday, March 14, 2013

Everything Is Beautiful At The Ballet

Keren and I attended the ballet Tuesday night.  It was a surprise birthday gift for us both from Sean.  He handed me an envelope with directions and an address written on the outside, and told us how to dress.  I had figured out the surprise was the ballet.  So had Keren, but she didn't know for sure until we arrived.

The ballet was Romeo and Juliet.  We dressed up, took the subway, and headed to the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts.  Our seats were high but with good sight-lines.  We brought antique opera glasses (okay, not quite antique, but really old).  We discussed the challenges of converting a play to a ballet, of converting words to dance.

She asked why people were applauding before anything started.  I pointed out the conductor coming to his podium.  As the music began, the smile on her face was amazing.  She was lit up.  As the curtain rose, she leaned forward to catch every bit.  I tend to watch a bit of everything.  I am fascinated by staging and costumes.  To see ballet in heavy dresses and robes is interesting.  Of course Lady Capulet cannot be expected to leap and twirl.  She's much too refined for that.  Romeo was well cast, capturing his youth and impetuousness.

Beyond the dance, there were other fun pieces.  Keren enjoyed the architecture of the Four Seasons Centre.  She wanted to walk through what she called "the tunnel."  I took her down to the first floor for a snack at the first intermission.  She got a Coke in a small but classic bottle.  On the way back upstairs, she saw people eating Haagen Daz bars.  "Eema, can I get ice cream?"  "Keren, we have ice cream at home."  "Yeah, but not chocolate covered and on a stick," she said with eyes wide.  On such a special night, how could I say no.

Wednesday Keren slept in.  She missed school.  It was worth it.  We'd never want school to get in the way of her education.

I also asked Gavi if he wanted to see Romeo and Juliet.  He said yes to the play, but no to the ballet.  "All that music and dancing, it just makes me crazy."  Not sure what that means, but I think it's a no.


No comments:

Post a Comment