Monday, November 19, 2012

Back to Blogging, With Sarcasm

After a week of lying on my back with my foot elevated I am soooooooo sick of doing nothing.  I have watched almost as many romantic comedies as when Sean travels.  I have read gossip & decorating magazines (thanks Debbie!).  I have been tended to my cats.

Today I ventured back to work.  My two hours planned for the office became six- definitely tooooooo much.  Now, I am back to my back, foot in the air.  I hate gravity.  Gravity is my nemesis.  It is the bane of my existence.  It causes the blood to flow back to my foot in large quantities to swell and throb.  Have I mentioned I don't like gravity?!

Another annoyance- hospital pre-op and post-op pamphlets.  They are one size fits all.  My pre-op pamphlet instructed me to bring an overnight bag.  Seriously, an overnight back for a twenty minute out-patient surgery?  Post-op my booklet gave me these instructions...

- Do not remove your dressing.  The doctor will remove the bandage at your follow-up visit.
- Remove the bandage and apply antibiotic cream each day, such as polysporin.  These can be purchased in your local pharmacy.

How do I remove and not remove the bandage?

I also received these instructions.  "You have no restrictions.  Walk as pain allows." and "Keep the bandage [which I was not to remove] clean and dry."

My foot in this bandage is the size of my two feet put together.  It does not fit in a shoe.  When I was about to leave the hospital I asked for a post-surgical boot.  The nurse told me it was not "Rx'ed."  I replied that it didn't matter.  If I was to walk on my foot (which I was because crutches were also not Rx'ed) I needed a boot.  After some thought she said she'd get one, but I'd be charged for it.  Whatever (please imagine me rolling my eyes at this).  How can they give me a script for percocet, which I was unlikely to need, but not anything to actually protect the foot?

I have also learned that a mother's work is never done.  I am still the one the kids call.  It's as if they thought I was just hiding in my room.  Sean's idea of "being near" is to be at work.  After all it's just a quick bike ride back to the house.  Of course if I don't have the phone, if he isn't by a phone, if he doesn't have his cell, it really doesn't matter.  Oh, and I'm the problem because I was really crankier than he expected.  Oh boo hoo.  A wonderful husband.  A lousy nurse (Remind me to tell you about the evening I was mugged [it was years ago- so don't freak out.].)  Still, I do love him.

Well I've been sitting long enough.  My foot is throbbing again.  Back to my back...

Nightie night.

No comments:

Post a Comment